I am only going to run through the free versions in this post. I’m focused on Windows here.
I’ve used LastPass for about 5 years and loved it but I despise companies changing the goalposts after the fact for no real reason other than to try sell more. What people seem to forget about users on free plans, is that the are highly unlikely to pay and more likely to move when pushed by marketing nonsense.
I also won’t be back. How do you trust a company in future, that said one thing and did another?
Some of the “free” versions are useless
The following companies give too little too make their free versions of any use.
1Password – https://1password.com/sign-up/
No free offering.
Dashlane – https://www.dashlane.com/plans
Only 50 passwords in the free version.
Enpass – https://www.enpass.io/pricing/
20 passwords in the free version. Lifetime license is US$91.99 which might be worth looking at, especially if you can find a special.
Only a 30 day trial.
PassCamp – https://www.passcamp.com/pricing/
Only 15 passwords in the free version.
Those free password managers worth taking a look at
Bitwardern – https://bitwarden.com/pricing/
- Self-hosting option for maximum security
- Secure Password Generator
- End-to-end encryption
- US$10/year for the Premium version which is the cheapest of this bunch
KeePass – https://keepass.info/
- Completely free and open source – OSI certified
- Installer or Portable – no cloud option
- Strong encryption
LogMeOnce – https://www.logmeonce.com/
- Free version is ad sponsored
- Encrypted 1MB storage – no idea how may passwords that will store
- Apparently “Patented” but it looks more like patently absurd. No where on the site could I find more about whether the patents exist and are relevant or just some marketers wet dream
NordPass – https://nordpass.com/plans/
- Save unlimited passwords
- Keep notes & credit cards
- Sync across all devices
- Only 1 active device – log into another and the first is disabled
RoboForm – https://www.roboform.com/
- AES-256 bit encryption
- Password audit
- US$1.99 per month billed annually
StickyPassword – https://www.stickypassword.com/free-password-manager-vs-premium
- Passwords stored encrypted
- Automatic form filling
- Password generator
Zoho Vault – https://www.zoho.com/vault/pricing.html
- US$10.80 billed annually