How do I register for tax?
When you register for SARS eFiling for the first time and you do not yet have a personal income tax number, SARS will automatically register you and issue a tax reference number. Note that you must have a valid South African ID.
1. Go to https://www.sars.gov.za
2. Select Register in the top right corner
3. Follow the prompts
4. Request a Notice of Registration – it will reflect your income tax registration number
You can also register for SARS eFiling on the SARS MobiApp and follow the same steps.
- Register through your employer via SARS eFiling:
SARS eFiling offers the SARS registration function which allows employers to submit employee income tax registrations to SARS. For more information, see the following guide: Tax Reference Number TRN Enquiry Services on eFiling.
- Register at your nearest SARS Branch: (Please note that visits to SARS branches will be limited during the lockdown period)
Visit your nearest SARS Branch to register for Personal Income Tax. Make sure you take along the necessary supporting documents. Remember to make an appointment before you visit a branch.
Unsure whether you are registered or not? Ask your employer, or use the SARS online Query function or call our SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277.