Issues with errors running the WebStart version – “Unable to launch the application” Name: Business Online Resize
If you have 18.104.22.1681 or newer, uninstall it, reboot and then install 22.214.171.1241
The reason for this is related to security, the older Java versions don’t have the newer security protocols. I have not tested with the 64-bit version.
When running the BusinessOnlineRS.jnlp for the first time, you’ll get the message Your Java version is out of date. click the checkbox next to Do not ask again until the next update is available. and then click Later – Continue and you will be reminded to update again later.
There are currently 3 ways to run SBBO
- Desktop Business Online Application
- Business Online Webstart Application
- Business Online SA Mobile Application
- Business Online Browser Client – only for rest of Africa
Desktop Business Online Application
Does not need Java preinstalled and runs from your PC desktop.
There are versions for PC & Mac
Business Online Webstart Application
Needs the latest Java version installed. It seems to work with the 32 or 64 bit versions of Java.
Application Blocked by Java Security
You may need to add an exclusion to Java if you get the above error. Look for what the error message says about location and then copy that path
- In your search bar type Configure Java, then click on the configure Java app
- Click the Security tab & then Edit Site List…
- Click Add and then type in the URL from the Location in the error message
- Click OK, and OK again to exit
- Now see if you can open your Business Online
Business Online SA Mobile App
I have not looked at the mobile app.
JNLP File Association
Java Network Launch Protocol (JNLP)
Has you .jnlp file extension been associated to the incorrect app?
To change this so that Standard Bank Online will open, you will need to use the Java Web Start.
- Go to any file with the extension .JNLP
- Right-click on the file name
- Select Open With, then select Choose another app
- Check the box next to Always use this app to open .jnlp files then click More apps
- Scroll down until you see Look for another app on this PC and click
- In the address bar, type C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\ in that does not exist go to C:\Program Files \Java\ then select the folder jre1.8.0_371 (this will depend on the version installed on your PC), then go to the bin folder and finally select javaws.exe
- Click Open, and it will launch the JNLP file
If you still have issues you will need to clear the settings in Internet Explorer
You’ll need to go to regedit and then remove the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jnlp or try the method below
- In Internet Explorer
- Right click on the “Start” button and select “Explore“
- In the “Start Menu” window, select “Tools” => “Folder Options“
- From the “Folder Options” window, select the “File Types” tab
- From the “Registered File Types” window, scroll down and locate the “JNLP – JNLP File“
- Select the “JNLP – JNLP File” and click the “Delete” button
- Select “Preferences” under the browser’s “Edit” menu
- In the “Preferences” window, select “Helper Applications” located under the “Navigator” category
- Under “Files types“, scroll down and locate “application/x-java-jnlp-file“
- Select “application/x-java-jnlp-file” and click the “Remove” button