For easyfile Forms Viewer issues go here
This page is my reference and a free resource in which I’ve attempted to explain in the simplest way possible something that is rather complex. It is for those who want to do it on their own. If you can’t come right on your own, with these instructions as a guide, do not call me, to get me to explain how it works.
Don’t call me if you not prepared to pay, “quick questions” are never “quick”, as I need enough information to make an informed decision and that usually takes time.
I have not “saved” any tips or tricks although I use a different more technical method myself. Absolutely everything I use to fix easyFile is somewhere on this page. Need help but don’t want to pay, then read carefully and post a question if you can’t find an answer or take a look at the easyFile facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/easyfile/
Please understand people, I’m no psychic and I do not practice voodoo or magic. Figuring out what is wrong is just like any other profession. I have to know what the situation is.
It is like you asking me, “How do I get to Timbuktu?”, without me knowing where you are and more crucially, you not knowing where you are I cannot possibly direct you. At least half of what I do when I get on people’s PC’s is figuring out where the PC is at.
So it is not that I won’t give you an answer, it is that I can’t give a meaningful single sentence answer.
Want to say thank you for help, please post a review to any of the following sites
Are you tired of fighting with easyFile? Contact me on my cell 084 584 7268 to schedule a time to get it fixed. R750.00 (I am not VAT registered) for a guaranteed fix. No fix, no fee! Work on servers is 1.5x the fee
How to install easyfile 7.2.7
7.2.7 includes the easyfile forms viewer 1.3.1
I personally prefer not to auto update. I’ve seen more issues with automatic updates, than a manual download and install. Make sure to always do a backup before you start.
Standard Simple Installation Instructions
First try an install without any of the tweaks below
- Backup – always make sure you have decent backups
- Uninstall all current versions of Java
- Download 7.2.7 and run it, make sure to let it install Java when it asks. If that does not work then try the Tweaked Installation.
Tweaked Installation if Simple Fails
- Backup – always make sure you have decent backups
- Uninstall “ALL” Java versions
- Uninstall current easyfile version
- Uninstall current Adobe Air version
- Reboot your PC
- Download 7.2.7: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – (7.2.7 Release Notes) [10.06.2022]
- Once downloaded right-click the filename & at the bottom select Unblock – if there is no Unblock move to the next step
- Right click the “Setup_EMP_727_WIN.zip” file and Extract Files, from the extracted folder double-click “Setup Employer.exe” to run
- Let it install Java as well as Air
I’ve had some issues with Kaspersky Internet/Total Security & Trend Micro blocking Java from running. Kaspersky AV doesn’t cause any issues.
I’ve also had issues with Avast & now AVG blocking the java when exporting IRP5’s. If you use Avast or AVG and you get no PDF files when you export, try pause your anti-virus and run again. You can see if easyfile is being blocked in Avast & AVG by going to Menu > Settings > Blocked & Allowed Apps – make sure that the offline.jar is not blocked
If you still can’t get it running, then your problem is more complex and I can only assist by getting on your PC to troubleshoot what the issue may be.
Disabling the Firewall in Windows 10, 8, 7 and Server 2016 or 2019
- Open Control Panel
- Click System and Security link
- Click Windows Firewall or Windows Defender Firewall
- Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off
- Select the bubble next to Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) in both the private and the public section.
- Click the OK button to save changes
- Remember to Turn On once you are done
Turning Windows Defender off in Windows 10
- Open the Start menu
- Click Settings
- Click Update & Security
- Click Windows Security
- Click Virus & threat protection
- Click Virus & threat protection settings
- Toggle off “Real-time protection“
Uninstalling JAVA Versions
Try uninstalling all versions of Java before installing easyfile using the following tool – https://java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml
The newsletter will be used to notify people of fixes, new releases or issues.
- Newsletter Subscription – http://eepurl.com/ccuxLn
- eFiling facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/SARSefiling/
Are you having problems with installing SARS easyFile-employer to your Windows PC, here are some possible fixes, tip’s & tricks to try?
Please send me your fix, if you had an error and you managed to sort it out. I’ll post it for other people’s benefit.
“Not interested in wasting your time on trying to fix easyFile. I can fix it for you, so you can get on with what is important to you.
I’ve seen too many people waste loads of time and still not come right.” Details at the bottom of the page
ActiveX Internet Explorer Issues – don’t use lightly
If you find your easyfile.dbz is not opening, it may be an issue with Internet Explorer blocking Java from running. You can test this by opening Internet Explorer and typing the following address in your address bar https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre, you will need to authorise the java for it to run.
This might resolve your issue or you may have to dig a little deeper.
This command may need to be run from an elevated command prompt.
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext" /v VersionCheckEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f More radically - not too be used without understanding REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext" /v VersionCheckEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\VersionManager" /v DownloadVersionList /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\ActiveXFiltering" /v IsEnabled /d 0 /f REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v EnableJavaUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v NotifyDownload /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v UpdateSchedule /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v UpdateMin /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v UpdAvailNotifyCnt /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v SunJavaUpdateSched /f del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\VersionManager\versionlist.xml"
EMP201 or EMP501 hangs at 0% error
Disconnect your internet connection. You can do this by removing your network cable or turning off your wireless.
Now start easyFile, open your company and go to the Notification Centre, it will give you an error.
Now reconnect your internet, it will ask to download the EMP 501, click OK
I’ve often heard people say “easyFile is not easy!” and that people prefer to do EMP 201 entries in eFiling.
Please be aware that it is from past feedback, that I am able to give assistance, so please let me know if you come right and what you found the issue was.
Ensure that you have backed up your data before attempting any of the following troubleshooting tips.
EMP501 Declaration not displaying
Your EMP501.swf might be corrupt. Exit easyFile, find the EMP501.swf [The file is in your easyFile folder under FlexForms.], delete it and then re-start easyFile, it will install a new copy. If you are still having problems, clear your Temporary files. Google it for your Operating System.
Clearing the Temporary Folder
- Press the Windows Button + R to open the “Run” dialog box
- Enter this text:
- Click OK This will open your temp folder
- Press Ctrl+A to select all
- Press Delete on your keyboard and click Yes to confirm
- All temporary files will now be deleted
Note: Some files may not be able to be deleted. If you are prompted about files that are missing or in use, click the check box next to Do this for all current items and click Skip
User’s and Passwords
Please keep these in a safe place, you will not be able to access your data if you lose your login details.
Passwords require Upper and lower case as well as a number and special character. Just don’t use “&“
Make sure to add a hint, it might come in really handy if you get stuck.
Forgotten your Password
You will always have an ADMIN user as it is an easyFile default. You can try open easyFile then put in your username, use ADMIN if in doubt and then click “Forgot Password?” and it will supply the hint you added when you first created the users.
Still stuck, click “Secure Reminder” this will ask you to login to Efiling and supply a password.
Older versions of easyFile as well as Java & Forms Viewer
Click on the blue box below to go to my archive of older versions. If you have a version I do not have, please send to my email or share via OneDrive, DropBox, Drive etc
- Download 7.2.7: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – (7.2.7 Release Notes) [10.06.2022]
- 7.2.6: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [19.05.2022]
- 7.2.4: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [11.03.2022]
- 7.2.3: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [16.02.2022]
- 7.2.2: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [10.02.2022]
- 7.2.1: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [06.12.2021]
- 7.2.0: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [08.11.2021]
- 7.1.9: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [22.10.2021]
- 7.1.8: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [15.10.2021]
- 7.1.7: via Dropbox, Google Drive or SARS Direct Link – [04.10.2021]
- 7.1.6 – 13.09.2021
- 7.1.5 – 10.08.2021
- 7.1.4 – 30.06.2021
- 7.1.3 – 28.06.2021
- 7.1.2 – 07.06.2021
- 7.1.1 – 06.05.2021
- 7.1.0 – 15.12.2020
- 7.0.9 – 05.10.2020
- 7.0.8 – 18.09.2020
- 7.0.7 – 11.09.2020
- 7.0.6 – 24.06.2020
- 7.0.5 – 15.05.2020
- 7.0.4 – 10.04.2020
- 7.0.3 – 04.02.2020
- 7.0.2 – 06.12.2019
- 7.0.1 – 08.11.2019
- 6.9.9 – 16.10.2019
- 6.9.8 – 03.10.2019
- 6.9.7 – 20.09.2019
- 6.9.6 – 01.07.2019
- 6.9.5 – 26.04.2019
- 6.9.4 – 18.02.2019
- 6.9.2 – 12.10.2018
- 6.9.1 – 02.10.2018
- 6.9.0 – 17.09.2018
- 6.8.3 – 05.03.2018
- 6.8.2 – 08.12.2017
- 6.8.1 – 22.09.2017
- 6.8.0 – 10.09.2017
- 6.7.0 – 19.08.2016
- Old 6.6.3-0.1.7, from May 2016
Which JAVA version should I have?
It no longer matters whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. You need the 32-bit Java version that installs with 7.2.7 which is Zulu JRE 188.8.131.52 (8u252) or 184.108.40.2063
You do not need version 1.7.80
What versions of Adobe Reader and Air
I’ve tested up to
- Adobe Air 220.127.116.111 download here – stick with 18.104.22.168 for best compatibility
- Adobe Reader DC 22.001.20117, download here or here – make sure to uncheck the bullshit McAfee optional offers [You need the 32-bit version, 64-bit version will give errors]
- Forms Viewer 1.3.1, download here
- JAVA Zulu JRE 22.214.171.124 version, will run with the latest 126.96.36.1993 version of JAVA as long as the Zulu JAVA is also installed
Connect if Disconnected
- In Internet Options, under the security section turn off SSL 3.0 and turn on TLS 1.0
- Go to Internet Options (Either through Control Panel or from the Tools menu in Internet Explorer). From here, click the connections tab and make sure that Never dial a connection is checked
- Disconnect your internet connection. Now login to easyFile and open a company, enter the declaration screen and then reconnect your internet.
easyFile Employer – security certificate error
When trying to log into a taxpayer’s profile, you get the message
“Revocation information for the security certificate for the site is not available. Do you want to proceed, yes or no?”
To fix, do the following:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the gear in the upper-right side of the page “Tools” or Alt+X, select “Internet options”
- Choose the “Advanced” tab
- Click “Reset”
- Check the “Delete personal settings” box and click “Reset” to finish
Fix for EMP201 hangs or gets stuck on 100% whilst updating
Thanks to Ryjin: Had endless issues with the EMP 201 update. It stayed stuck on 100% and would NOT let me into easyFile. Best way to get around this is to: logon without an internet connection. Enter the declaration screen and then reconnect your internet!! This will update accordingly and you will finally be able to work!! Yay!!
This can also be a permissions issue, you need to make sure EMP201.swf is writable, it is in the \Local Store\FlexForms folder. Look below for more information on the sata store location for the different versions of Windows.
Setting up easyFile EMP201 to work with eFiling
In order to make use of the EMP201 function on easyFile™ Employer, you need to ensure that your EMP201 is registered and activated on your eFiling profile. You also need to make sure your user rights are set up correctly so that you can submit and pay your EMP201 using easyFile™ Employer. You must synchronise your easyFile Employer information with your SARS eFiling website profile. Once your SARS eFiling profile is setup, and the relevant EMP201 reference number activated, synchronise the software.
Does your PC have multiple drives or partitions?
Ensure that you install to the C:\ drive, huh, yeah! you heard me. You need to ensure that you install SARS easyFile Employer AND Java to your C:\ drive. [This will only show up on PC’s with multiple drives or drive partitions.] You can do this by selecting the Advanced checkbox when installing Java, and selecting your install location when prompted.
Windows 7, easyFile database location
The EasyFile.dbz database is stored in “C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\easyFileEmployer.???\Local Store\”
The ??? is a unique number string for your PC.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10 & 11, easyfile database location
Folder is C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\easyFileEmployer.0612E4541602589CA8807A3EA214FDF182FEF49D.1\Local Store\
Easyfile login issues
You won’t believe it – your efiling password can use an ‘&’ but easyFile doesn’t like it. So eFiling is fine with the ‘&’ sign but not easyFile. The staff at SARS helpline (0860-12-12-18) directed me to click on “secure reminder”. Use your SARS efiling login name and password. Their system then generated a password that worked.
Adobe Air Installation Issues
Having problems with your machine saying you need Administrator permissions to install Adobe Air. Got to the following page, download the Microsoft Fix and run it, select the appropriate responses and then try install again.
Full story – “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR Application Installer.exe” – ignoreExpiredCertificateTimestamp
If Air won’t install run in Windows 8 compatibility mode as administrator.
Remove File Association
Open elevated command prompt
For your payroll file
Final Straw – Reached the end of your tether – I can help fix easyfile
- Have you read through the whole thread and still can’t get easyfile working?
- or just can’t be bothered wasting your time
I offer a guaranteed service to get easyfile up and running for R750 or [R1500 after hours] (I’m not a VAT vendor). Payment due on completion of repair.
It takes me from 15 min to 2 hours to get easyfile working.
Here’s how I work
- WhatsApp, call or email me to explain your issue and arrange a time to repair. I prefer a phone call or WhatsApp as I can run through questions to get a clearer picture of the issue
- If you have AnyDesk installed, skip to step 3, to get TeamViewer.com, click the green “Download TeamViewer” button. Install the software making sure you select “for personal use”
- Send me the AnyDesk ID via WhatsApp, and accept the connection when I log in
- I’ll get onto your PC and get easyfile to the point where you can open your files
- Once fixed I’ll get your billing details & email address
- I’ll then generate an invoice and email it to you
- You pay
I have a 95-99% success rate. Mainly because I don’t give up until it’s fixed. The most hassle I’ve had was with an Apple Mac running Windows 7 Home under Parallel’s and the database backup turned out to be corrupted.